- Conduct a kick-off educational workshop and demonstration project on Lake Muskoday, Belle Isle, City of Detroit, Wayne County.
- Conduct an educational workshop in Oakland County.
- Conduct an educational workshop and demonstration project in Lenawee, Macomb, St. Clair, and Washtenaw counties.
- Develop an informational web site highlighting the educational workshops, the demonstration projects, and to provide an informational resource for soft engineering to the public.
- Assemble and distribute conservation buffer packets detailing site selection and design information on filter strips and riparian forest buffers. Packets will be provided to drain commissions, road commissions, and watershed councils.
Conducting soft engineering/conservation buffer educational workshops and demonstration projects will provide public and private constituencies with the information and a "hands on" experience with the application and installation of soft engineering methods. This will lead to widespread knowledge and the adoption of soft engineering methods to address streambank erosion. The result will be improved quality throughout the seven counties serviced by the SE MI RC&D Council.
The soft engineering/conservation buffer project will complement and enhance both existing and future projects in the Clinton River, Detroit River, Huron River, River Raisin, and Rouge River watersheds.
Field demonstration projects tend to "spark" additional support and interest. In addition to a completed project, the demonstration projects instill a sense of community pride and stewardship of our natural resources, provide an opportunity for citizens to volunteer in their community, and to provide a foundation for future projects. Grant monies tend to be "leveraged" by the high level of commitment of local funds and resources.
The success of previous soft engineering workshops and demonstration projects has sparked additional interest and has created new demands for soft engineering educational workshops and field demonstration projects in the Southeastern Michigan region.